by Antonio Sini
I love a good power nap. There have been many long days at the studio where I wouldn’t have survived without one. Research has shown that a daily nap can promote physical well-being, improve your mood and your memory, sharpen your senses and revitalize your energy. By deliberately putting time aside for a “power nap”, you will be much more productive the rest of the day. A 15 to 20 minute nap is all you need–the key is not to fall into the deeper stages of sleep in the afternoon. Even if you don’t fully fall asleep, you’ll still reap benefits from the relaxation time.
Here are some quick tips for that perfect siesta:
- Schedule your nap during the second half of your day, usually between 1pm and 5pm.
- Avoid caffeine 4 hours before a nap. Also avoid eating at least 2 hours before your nap.
- Nap regularly and keep your time consistent so you nap at the same time every day.
- Find a quiet space and turn off your phone. Let others know not to disturb you.
- Help your body relax by taking a few deep breaths. Clear your mind by focusing on your breaths.
- If light bothers you, wear a sleep mask or place a towel over your eyes. A dark room will work best.
- Have a glass of water when you wake up and walk around for 5 minutes to stimulate your nervous system.
As I stated, a good nap should last no more than 15-20 minutes. You may think this is nothing but, believe me, its all you need. You’ll feel your heart rate increase when you wake up and you may even start to sweat as your metabolism fires back. After a few minutes and big glass of water you’ll feel good as new!