by Tyler Farrish …
Many a New Year’s resolution centers around achieving desired weight-loss goals and feeling higher energy levels daily. What if I told you that by setting a goal of completing just one daily task, you could reach both these goals? Ready to step up to the plate in 2013?
Goal: Eat Gluten-Free, every day, for 1-month…
We’ve all heard the euphemism “you are what we eat”; Now I’d like to dive into the “what” we’re eating & how it affects our system. For starters, retrace what you’ve eaten today. Now take 10 minutes & determine how much of what you’ve consumed contained gluten. The most common sources are grains such as wheat, barley & rye. Some not-so-well-known-sources include sauces, marinades, dressings, lunch-meats, imitation meats and the list could go on. You will be shocked about how much you inadvertently consume on a daily basis. Thought you were living the “everything in moderation” lifestyle?
So, why gluten free? Here’s our thinking:
For Weight-Loss Goals
- Avoiding gluten naturally forces us to make smarter choices in the marketplace, helping us gravitate away from highly processed foods in favor of nutrient dense foods. (Fast Facts: the “Gluten-Free” options at the grocery are often just as highly processed– so stay away from these items for now!)
- In return: blood sugar begins to stabilize, metabolism starts to regulate itself, decreased desire to binge-eat because prolonged satiation from nutritious foods.
For Higher Daily Energy Levels
- For starters, these energy levels are dependent on our average amount of sleep, quality of nutrition, proper functioning of Gastrointestinal System, Thyroid health, etc.
- Today given the statistics, we can estimate that at least 90% Americans have a compromised GI system, either due to parasites, candida fungal overgrowth, frequent antibiotic use, stress, etc. This can cause sleep-restlessness, inflammation of the GI, decrease the Immune system, decrease Thyroid functioning, arthritis, etc.
- By avoiding gluten: the GI system will get help & time to repair, gut microflora will start to rebalance itself, you will reduce the stress on your thyroid, driving your energy levels up while increasing your immunity at the same time!
Good luck & feel free to contact us at any time for a great Gluten Free diet recommendation!