by Tyler Farrish …
As a trainer who has found that eating gluten & dairy free works best for my system, I am often asked specific questions about the foods & meals I choose to put into my body. When I first began the journey of dietary self discovery, I had a lot of questions. When you start to remove food categories from your diet, it can seem as though you don’t have enough foods to choose from! However, I found that honing my diet was an experience that ultimately broadened my food horizons, helped me discover new meals, and helped steer me towards “cleaner” foods.
Try to keep it simple. Think “Eating Clean”: good quality meats, vegetables & fruits from the healthiest sources you can find (ie: farmers markets, organic produce groceries) & non-glutenous grains such as quinoa, amaranth, and wild rice. Experiment and have fun with your new journey to your bodies nutrition. It is an opportunity to break free of your “go-to” meals that we all cycle through and become better acquainted with your kitchen, your markets & your body.
So, here’s a sample menu of some of my own daily meal options might help serve as a starting point to see how delicious a gluten & dairy-free meal can be!
*I wake up every morning & have a warm glass of water with lemon & follow with my breakfast about 30 minutes later.*
- Two hardboiled eggs, sprouted tricolor quinoa with ½ sliced avocado, and tomato.
- Scrambled eggs & steamed broccoli
- Cinnamon & dried cranberry GF Steel-Cut Oatmeal cooked with almond milk & sauteed shredded rainbow swiss chard (with olive oil).
- Superfood Smoothie: Chlorella, Maca powder, pure ground vanilla beans, chaga mushroom tea, cacao beans, blueberries, raw honey, & coconut water
- Spanish frittata with spinach, garlic, olives, diced sauteed onions, & red/orange/green diced peppers
- Baked chicken breast with pesto & roasted root vegetables
- Ginger-Maple Glazed Salmon & kale salad with sprouted pine nuts & balsamic vinegar dressing
- Ahi Tuna Poke with re-hydrated seaweed & toasted sesame nuts &
- Grilled Chicken Plato with wild rice, black beans (pre-soaked), & guacamole
- Grilled Mahi-Mahi with jicama & pineapple salsa
- Spinach Salad with Grilled Chicken, apples, chickpeas & soaked walnuts
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Roasted brussel sprouts & cauliflower
- Black bean burgers in a collard green wrap with guacamole, wild rice, and tomatillo salsa
- Miso Soup with wakame & miso (ideally fermented for 6 months-2 years)
- Stuffed Portobello with parsnip, carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato, walnut, date, egg & parsley
- Sprouted almonds or other sprouted seeds/nuts
- Vegetables & Natural dips (hummus, guacamole, white bean, sweet almond pâté, etc)
- Fruits (grapefruits, berries, pomegranates, cranberries, etc)
- Fermented cabbage & cultured vegetables
- Dehydrated Kale Chips